As a public reinsurer, CCR is mandated to operate in the public interest. As such, CCR provides insurers operating in France with coverage of exceptional risks.
Wholly-owned by the French State, the Company conducts, for certain activities, missions essential to the public authorities.
State-guaranteed Reinsurance activities cover:
• The reinsurance of natural disaster risks under the compensation scheme,
• The reinsurance of attacks and terrorist acts,
• The reinsurance of exceptional risks linked to a shipment.
CCR is responsible for the accounting and financial management of public funds on behalf of the State
• long-term reinsurance solutions, e.g. coverage against natural catastrophes,
• short-term reinsurance solutions whenever required, e.g. public-sector provision of credit reinsurance during the 2008 financial crisis.
An agreement defines the general interest missions delegated to CCR by the State: the reinsurance of certain extreme risks, the data collection and modeling of risks and the management of public funds. The agreement also stipulates the conditions for the achievement of these missions, in particular the reinsurance of natural disasters based on the principle of national solidarity. Lastly, it sets the price and lays out the terms of the State’s guarantee by which CCR benefits for the operation of its public reinsurance activities.